Saturday 2 October 2010

Hitch and Fry the Vatican

Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens, I salute you!

The BBC World Service's Intelligence Squared Debate: The Catholic Church is a Force for Good in the World took place almost a year ago - in November 2009.

Its protagonists were:
For the motion - Archbishop John Onaiyekan of Abuja, former Conservative MP Anne Widdicom; seriously outgunned by, against the motion -  commentators Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry


Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens oppose th...Image via Wikipedia

Hitch and Fry comprehensively, systematically and courageously express my own scepticism in general, and disgust at the Vatican, its hierarchy and its flying monkeys in particular.

Although neither new nor timely, and already available in all the usual places, I am posting their remarks because I agree totally with them on this.

The older I get the more anti-clerecist (sp?) I become

It is really good to see the mysticism and obscurantism, not to mention the moral and legal criminality, of this dangerous and extremely worldly structure (regardless of whether its spiritual teachings are true or not) so directly and comprehensively hollowed out by rationality. 

Good that it was broadcast world-wide by the Beeb.  I hope that it gets many repeats.






No comments:

Post a Comment